From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Latest unstable ntp not generating ntp.drift file.
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 01:33:15
1 Hi,
2
3 I been watching my clock here for a while. On my old rig, ntp kept the
4 clock set very, very well. This rig seems to have issues. I tried the
5 stable version of ntp and it just seems to keep resetting the time but
6 not adjusting the drift file at all. I even adjusted manually once and
7 my entry was better than the one it made.
8
9 I then decided to try the latest unstable ntp to see if maybe it would
10 work better. I emerged ntp, renamed the drift file and started the
11 service. That was several hours ago and it has yet to even create the
12 drift file. It also puts nothing in the log file except that it started
13 and is using ports and the normal stuff. No syncing or anything like
14 the older version.
15
16 Also, I copied the ntp.conf file over from the old rig. I would think
17 they would work pretty much the same. Same program, same config and
18 hopefully same results.
19
20 First version tried: net-misc/ntp-4.2.4_p7-r1
21 Current unstable version: net-misc/ntp-4.2.6_p2-r1
22
23 When I looked at the ntp website, it said it should sync much faster
24 than the old one. Basically it is minutes instead of hours. So far
25 this is not the case.
26
27 Anybody else ran into this? Am I missing something that is different on
28 a 64 bit rig?
29
30 Thanks.
31