From: Sid S <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD recmmendation / input
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 00:34:08
1 An SSD has the best performance return per dollar than most any other
2 investment you can make (for a typical workload). It's actually rather
3 unlikely you'll get a bad one if you stick to relatively known brands.
4 ADATA has some cheap options that, while pretty low on the totem poll, will
5 give you a decent amount of storage and speed. If you don't mind spending
6 more you can look at Crucial, PNY, Intel, etc. But keep in mind you'll
7 receive diminishing returns w.r.t. higher read and write speeds - you
8 actually get most of the speed increase due to an SSD's better random read
9 response, which can be had with even the cheapest ones.
10
11 Any disk you pick will be compatible with your motherboard, though if it is
12 older you may not reach the SSD's peak throughput.
13
14 I use a 256gb SSD drive with two 1TB platter drives. It will hold your OS,
15 swap, and some media. I use LVM.
16
17 Wear levelling will work properly even if you partition the whole disk