From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] search patterns in less(1)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 15:44:53
1 On 7/19/19 11:28 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 7/19/19 2:40 AM, n952162 wrote:
3 >> The man page says:
4 >>
5 >>   The pattern is a regular expression, as recognized by
6 >>               the regular expression library supplied by  your system
7 >>
8 >> There are many regular expression libraries on my system.
12 Actually, the ambiguity in the man page is there for a reason. When you
13 configure less, you can pass --with-regex=<library> to select an
14 implementation. You get libpcre with USE=pcre in Gentoo. Without
15 USE=pcre, I think you get the GNU libc implementation (from grep et al.)
16 that just coincidentally supports "\b" as well.
17
18 There are a few other options for that flag that aren't available in
19 Gentoo, though, so the man page is being vague out of necessity.