From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:49:13
1 On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:31:06 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:59:30 -0500
6 > > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Mark Knecht wrote:
9 > >>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
10 > >>> wrote: <SNIP>
11 > >>> Right now, my plan is to mask udev at what it is and either
12 > >>>> switch to another distro
13 > >>> <SNIP>
14 > >>>
15 > >>> Just remember, with distros it's the device you know for the devil
16 > >>> you don't know...
17 > >>>
18 > >>> I don't understand why any of this /usr /udev stuff is bothering
19 > >>> you. Do you really use a separate /usr? Aren't you on stable like
20 > >>> me or are you on ~amd64?
21 > >>>
22 > >>> Good luck. I'm positive you'll come to your senses about this
23 > >>> Ubuntu nonsense! ;-)))
24 > >>>
25 > >>> Cheers,
26 > >>> Mark
27 > >>>
28 > >>>
29 > >>
30 > >>
31 > >> My plan was to put / on ext4, /boot on ext2 and everything else on
32 > >> LVM. That would incluse /usr, /usr/portage, /var and /home. I have
33 > >> not done that yet because doing it would force me to make a choice
34 > >> very soon since this mess is coming pretty soon.
35 > >
36 > > That's easy to fix. It takes a while and it's mind-numbingly boring,
37 > > but it's easy.
38 > >
39 > > All you need is a decent amount of free disk space as you will
40 > > shuffle things around just like in that 15 pieces game.
41 > >
42 > > Assuming / is the first (or second) partition on a disk:
43 > >
44 > > Measure how much data is on the file system.
45 > > Measure how much data is on the /usr file system.
46 > > Move partitions after / on the disk out of the way creating enough
47 > > free space to contain current / and /usr.
48 > > Enlarge / partition, enlarge the file system on it, copy contents
49 > > of /usr there.
50 > > Arrange the rest of your disk the way you want it (either with or
51 > > without LVM, both are easy enough to do).
52 > > Move the rest of your data back to it's final destination.
53 > > Delete any last remnants of the old /usr partition.
54 > >
55 > > And all your worries about initramfs will go away. Trust me (no, not
56 > > because I sell used cars, but because I do this for a living and
57 > > have done it several times)
61 > Right now, I doubt my current / partition can hold all the /usr stuff.
62 > It would require a complete undoing then redoing, like you just laid
63 > out. I have done this before but I would like to only have to do it
64 > once and be done. That is why I want to use LVM for everything but /
65 > but if I could get this to work right, I wouldn't mind having / on LVM
66 > too.
67
68 / on LVM isn't all that useful, simply because it's size doesn't change
69 much and there's no real need to grow it. It's not like /var.
70
71 Binary distros put LVm on / not because it's a good idea but because
72 they like to have consistency. You don't need that because you know
73 what you built and it doesn't need to be supported by a corporate
74 employee far away.
75
76 You are worrying yourself needlessly about this init thing.
77
78 Just take some small measures to ensure that it will never be a factor.
82 > Right now, I have very little confidence in this init thingy and me
83 > getting it to work much less able to fix it even it doesn't boot for
84 > some reason.
85 >
86 > < sighs >
87 >