From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dd says no space left on device
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 01:02:40
1 WRT why it stopped after 10MB, if i specified a smaller size it would just
2 stop after whatever was specified, so its just doing a single chunk equal to
3 whatever bs has been specified as.
4
5 I think the re-read of the partition table is probably the problem - so
6 thanks for that suggestion.
7
8 To check my understanding - would it be correct to say that;
9 1. Using dd to copy the first 512 bytes (MBR) is ALL that is needed to setup
10 the partitions - that is i wont need to run fdisk etc afterward.
11 2. Using dd in this way of course will not update the kernel's knowledge of
12 the partition table so a partprobe is necessary
13 3. When using fdisk to write a partition table and exit, it calls a re-read
14 of the partition table by the kernel so any changes should be ready straight
15 away. (there's a message about calling ioctl when it exits - so i guess that
16 is the update)