From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How can I unmask package and mask just its one version?
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 11:51:07
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 19:13 on Thursday 28 October 2010, Jarry did
4 > opine thusly:
5 >
6 >> Hi,
7 >> how can I unmask (generally) certain M~ masked package and
8 >> mask one particular version of that package? I want to use
9 >> that package, but skip just one "x.y.z" upgrade, and continue
10 >> with any future higher upgrades ("x.y.z+1").
11 [...]
12 > portage is fighting you.
13 >
14 > unmask has priority over mask, so unmasking everything and masking a specific
15 > version will not work - the first rule will prevail.
16 >
17 [example omitted]
18 >
19 > But this is fragile and will break way too often. What if you later also want
20 > to mask version 7? portage doesn't give you a boolean AND or any way I know of
21 > to specify a range of versions. So you have to keep an eye on it manually, and
22 > tweak as necessary. Or you could just list exactly every version for which
23 > there's an ebuild and add it to the appropriate package.* file
24 >
25 > This is a definite shortcoming in portage, it warrants a feature request at
26 > b.g.o.
27
28 I'm (not yet?) needing this feature, and I'm not a portage developer,
29 but while reading this thread I found myself wondering about ways to
30 allow this mixing of mask and unmask - I'm sharing that in case it is
31 useful. Feel free to ignore.
32
33 - obey the more specific atom, this way unmasking the whole thing in
34 .unmask and masking specific atoms in .mask would work. (When they're
35 equally specific, use the current behavior.)
36
37 This probably involves writing something to tell which atom is the
38 more specific, unless that already exists.
39
40 An advantage is that the current atom syntax doesn't need to be
41 changed.
42
43 - add regex support: this would allow exclusion on .unmask, but the
44 syntax may not be the best, and it must ensure it doesn't break with
45 existing atoms (there are atoms using asterisks and package versions
46 have lots of stops)
49 Nuno J. Silva
50 gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg