From: James Wall <wallservices@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 03:46:21
1 On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > On Monday, June 27 at 18:47 (-0500), James Wall said:
5 >
6 >> Albert,
7 >> Thanks for sharing the guest image. I have gotten it installed on my
8 >> virtualbox to allow me to experiment with it. Thanks again for sharing
9 >> your work.
10 >
11 > Cool, now I at least know it works with vmware and virtualbox.
12 Just for clarification and in case anyone else needs help with this,
13 the steps I followed in Virtualbox were as follows:
14 1. Create a new VM and select to add an existing disk image. I
15 navigated to the uncompressed file and selected it.
16 2. I then went into the properties of the VM and changed the
17 controller type to SCSI and readded the disk image.
18 Since I quickly realized I wanted more space to use as my
19 distfiles/portage server for my network, I then ran
20 3. VBoxManage clonehd /path/to/base-dist.vmdk /path/to/base-dist.vdi
21 --format VDI ; VBoxManage modifyhd /path/to/base-dist.vdi --resize
22 102400
23 4. I then went into the settings and selected the new image to have
24 the disk space available and partitioned the drive with the new space
25 set aside for /usr/portage/
26 > I will probably be uploading updated images every few days or so.
27 >
28 > -a
33 Hope this is useful.
34 James
35 --
36 No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large
37 number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.