From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Getting apvlv running (My "excellent adventure")
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 02:49:41
1 Earlier this year, my ISP changed their billing notification emails
2 from application/pdf to application/octet-stream. Trying to view it
3 from mutt showed binary gobbledygook. After some flailing around, I
4 found out that I had to put an entry into .mailcap, namely...
5
6 application/octet-stream; mimeopen %s
7
8 When I tried to open a pdf file from mutt, I got a text dialogue
9 asking me which program to use. I chose /usr/bin/epdfview, and mutt has
10 used that as the default ever since.
11
12 Now epdfview is masked for removal in a few weeks. apvlv is the
13 recommended lightweight alternative. After some screwing around and
14 discovering an obscure bug in the apvlv ebuild, I finally got apvlv up
15 and running. You ***MUST*** build poppler with USE="xpdf-headers", or
16 else the apvlv ebuild dies. I reported the bug, and the apvlv ebuild
17 now should check for app-text/poppler[xpf-headers].
18
19 I emerged and ran rox-mime-editor and have no clue what to do to
20 change from epdfview to apvlv. There are no man or info files for
21 rox-mime-editor. Is there a better alternative mime-editor?
22
23 As a heavy-handed solution, I searched for the string "epdfview" in
24 ~/.local. In ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list I found an entry
25 for pdf using epdfview. I zapped that line, and tried reading the pdf
26 in mutt. I got the text dialogue again, and specified /usr/bin/apvlv.
27 mutt now uses it all the time for pdf files. In contrast, Firefox is
28 much easier, with a dialogue for applications.
31 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>