From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Routine update wants to install 3 version of Ruby + 50 others
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 18:30:39
1 My routine more-or-less weekly update suddenly decided that it needed
2 to install 3 versions of Ruby along with ~50 other ruby-related
3 packages. This caused a bit of a problem, since those versions of Ruby
4 can't coexist: (something to do with tk and threads).
5
6 I've never had Ruby installed before, and after some digging around, I
7 finally tracked it down to two things:
8
9 gnome-terminal->nautilus->webkit->ruby
10 multipath-tools->thin-provisioning-tools->ruby
11
12 These both seem to be new dependancies.
13
14 After uninstalling gnome-terminal, multipath-tools, and
15 thin-provisioning-tools all is good (the update proceding sans Ruby).
16
17 I understand that sometimes a maintainer decides to add a feature that
18 requires some new dependancies, but why three different versions of
19 Ruby all of a sudden?
22 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Wait ... is this a FUN
23 at THING or the END of LIFE in
24 gmail.com Petticoat Junction??