From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: PCI SAS CARDS
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:05:05
1 On 22 July 2020 10:53:57 CEST, "Gerrit Kühn" <gerrit.kuehn@×××××××.de> wrote:
2 >Am Wed, 22 Jul 2020 10:43:39 +0200
3 >schrieb Gerrit Kühn <gerrit.kuehn@×××××××.de>:
4 >
5 >> > Are there any SAS drive controller cards that go in a PCI slot (Not
6 >PCI
7 >> > express).  I suspect it's a silly question but I'd like to find
8 >one.
9 >
10 >> I don't know any.
11 >
12 >Looking around, I just found two (old) PCI-X based models. If I
13 >remember
14 >correctly, PCI-X cards should work in PCI slots (given there is enough
15 >physical place to fit them).
16 >ICP Vortex 9085LI, PCI-X (2216800-R)
17 >LSI Logic SAS 3442X-R, SAS, PCI-X (LSI00164)
18 >
19 >Don't know if you can still buy these anywhere (2nd hand maybe?). Be
20 >warned that the LSI one has a Broadcom SAS1068E chipset which afaicr is
21 >known to be limited to 2TB drives.
24 >cu
25 > Gerrit
26
27 Not all PCI-X cards work in normal PCI slots. I had 1 of those and it would only work in the PCI-X slot I had at the time. Considering how rare those cards and supporting mainboards were even back then, I wouldn't trust compatibility promises too much.
30 Joost
31 --
32 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.