From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: vbox vm no boot
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 01:13:16
1 On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 08:01:57 +0700
2 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3
4 > On Dec 5, 2011 7:55 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> writes:
7 > >
8 > > > On Dec 5, 2011 7:19 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
9 > > >>
10 > > >> Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> writes:
11 > > >>
12 > > >> > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
13 > > >> >
14 > > >> > [...]
15 > > >> >
16 > > >> >> A Gentoo VM on a Linux host works fine here with the same
17 > > >> >> setup.
18 > Let's
19 > > >> >> examine the host settings first as that affects booting too.
20 > > >> >>
21 > > >> >> What settings do you have on the System and Storage tabs on
22 > > >> >> the VBox host for that vm?
23 > > >> >
24 > > >> > I guess the easiest is to post screen shots of those tabs:
25 > > >> >
26 > > >> > www.jtan.com/~reader/vu2/disp.cgi
27 > > >> >
28 > > >> > I did notice that on System tab the chipset is listed as piix3
29 > > >> > and on Storage Tab it shows `type' as PIIX4. At first there
30 > > >> > were no other choices on the drop downs, so I assumed it was
31 > > >> > ok like that... now I see the dropdown on Storage has gotten
32 > > >> > populated since I last tried it.
33 > > >> >
34 > > >> > I set it to match the System `chip' PIIX3... but still the same
35 > > >> > failure.
36 > > >> >
37 > > >> > Maybe those are not related to the problem?
38 > > >>
39 > > >> Haa... that google hit I mentioned about resetting bootable with
40 > > >> gparted worked... Now bootup starts. But the same old sorry bs
41 > > >> I have always hit with gentoo when trying to setup a vm is now
42 > > >> present and accounted for...
43 > > >>
44 > > >> www.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/disp.cgi
45 > > >>
46 > > >
47 > > > Seems to be a case of missing driver to me :-)
48 > >
49 > > Yes it is, and its missing because I have no idea what it wants.
50 > > Do you?
53 > I'm still on my way to the office, so I can't for sure tell you
54 > what, but IIRC if you use Vbox's default settings for a Gentoo Linux
55 > VM, it's ICH9.
56
57 At least on a Linux host, PIIX works fine for Linux guests. Performance
58 sucks rather majorly[1], but it does at least work.
59
60 [1] "sucks" meaning lots of IOwaiting resulting in top showing
61 excessive load figures on the host. Probably a case of PIIX not being
62 optimized and running very generic, slow, code.
65 Alan McKinnnon
66 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com