From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] extending /usr partition...
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:37:35
1 Am Samstag, 21. März 2009 19:39:08 schrieb Jarry:
2
3 > And one more counter-argument: with traditional partitions I can select
4 > where a certain partition is (physically). Those partitions accessed
5 > frequently I put to the beginning of the disk with higher transfer-rate.
6 > In my case, it makes quite difference:
7 >
8 > obelix ~ # hdparm -t /dev/md2
9 > Timing buffered disk reads: 252 MB in 3.02 seconds = 83.23 MB/sec
10 >
11 > obelix ~ # hdparm -t /dev/md9
12 > Timing buffered disk reads: 150 MB in 3.02 seconds = 49.72 MB/sec
13
14 Who says you'd loose that ability with LVM? You could
15
16 1) Create two md devices and put one volume group on top of each calling them
17 vg-fast and vg-slow, then put your logical volumes into either VG.
18
19 2) Keep your setup with 9 md devices and put one large VG on top, then for
20 each LV tell LVM on which physical volume (PV) it should reside (don't know
21 wether that really works, though. Just guessing that this is what the
22 "PhysicalVolumePath" in lvcreate is meant for, the man page leaves it open).
23
24 Bye...
25
26 Dirk