From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmware workstation daemon problem
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 06:20:16
1 This post came at a good time. I had just installed vmplayer on my XP box at
2 work so I could run Linux and have some real mail and news programs. So I
3 decided to try it on gentoo. Emerged it and it wouldn't configure - kept
4 whining it couldn't stop vmware - of course not it wasn't running.
5
6 I did what you suggested in the first post and got it to configure. I then
7 did what you suggested here. However, when I do /etc/init.d/vmware the first
8 time it did this:
9
10 * Starting VMware services: [ ok ]
11 * Virtual machine monitor [ !! ]
12 * Virtual ethernet [ !! ]
13 * Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0 [ !! ]
14 * Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 (background) [ ok ]
15 * Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 (background) [ ok ]
16 * NAT service on /dev/vmnet8 [ !! ]
17
18 After that I get this when I try and start vmware.
19
20 root@gandalf init.d # /etc/init.d/vmware start
21 VMware Player is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
22 for the running kernel. To (re-)configure it, invoke the
23 following command: /opt/vmware/player/bin/vmware-config.pl.
24
25 If I run vmware-config.pl it complains it can't stop it. I even repeated the
26 steps in your first post.
27
28 Any ideas on what might be wrong?
29