From: Willie WY Wong <wongwwy@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Lightweight commandline flatfile database
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:20:47
1 On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:23:32AM -0500, Penguin Lover Walter Dnes squawked:
2 > Rather than keep music on my hard drive, I'm going the "cloud" route
3 > by keeping a list of my favourite Youtube clips. Ideally, I'd like
4 > something that I can activate from the command line, and even launch
5 > Firefox. sqlite is overkill in terms of features/size. Is there
6 > something smaller. It does *NOT* have to be SQL. I'd prefer a text
7 > mode program. I'd prefer not to keep a list in a spreadsheet.
10 Then why not just a flat text file, one youtube link per line, each
11 line comma separated with
12
13 URL,artist,title
14
15 search with grep, once narrowed down to one item you can just
16 firefox "`grep <terms> textfile | cut -d ',' -f 1`"
17 or even make that a bash function if you'd like?
18
19 adding to the list is as simple as
20 echo "<url>,artist,title" >> textfile
21 a mixture of grep, cut, sort can even be used to make a full listing
22 of all entries.
23
24 Or do you have a more specific set of features that you'd like? (like,
25 for exampe, an actual user interface?)
26
27 Cheers,
28
29 W
30 --
31 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
32 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton