From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: meino.cramer@×××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo via Gentoo ?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:17:30
1 On Sunday 18 April 2010 14:21:19 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > currently I am reading the Gentoo-Handbokk about installing a
5 > new Gentoo-System via boot-CD.
6 >
7 > If I have a running Gentoo-Sytem on my PC...would it be
8 > possible to install a new Gentoo-System on a fresh harddisk,
9 > which is currently unpartitioned and unformatted electrically
10 > wired with my PC (SATAII) ?
11 >
12 > Just an idea...
13
14 Of course you can.
15
16 Your question betray the fact that you don't fully understand how OS installs
17 work. It goes like this:
18
19 - You have a running operating system on disk A
20 - This can be any system you feel like, it can be Ubuntu, a LiveCD, MacOS or
21 anything else
22 - This OS runs an application that writes a crap load of files to disk B (or a
23 different partition on the same disk - essentially the same thing)
24 - Disk B is never the same bit as disk A. It doesn't matter what OS you are
25 using to install on disk B, it is never the same thing as disk A. If it is, it
26 isn't an install, it's an update
27 - These files on disk B are written in such a way that they form a functioning
28 OS.
29 - Boot the machine and tell it to use the files on disk B.
30 - Voila!! B runs, and has nothing to do with A.
31
32 It stands to reason that the original A can be Gentoo to install Gentoo on B.
33 Don't get hung up on this, it means nothing.
34
35 If you have a suitable install app, MacOS can install Gentoo.
36 If you have a suitable install app, Windows can install Gentoo.
37 If you have a suitable install app, Gentoo can install Gentoo.
38
39 Make sense now?
40 --
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com