From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How can I move running proces to background & out of screen?
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 19:24:31
1 On 03/01/2011 08:56 PM, Jarry wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > is there any way to move running (already started) process
4 > to background, and disconnect it from screen/terminal
5 > so that I could log off (without terminating the process)?
6
7 The cleanest way to do this is not with job control but with a tool like
8 "screen". Install it (app-misc/screen) and start programs with it. You
9 also start a shell in screen. For example:
10
11 screen su - USERNAME
12
13 Now you can press CTRL+A, D to detach the screen. The programs in it
14 will continue running in the background. To re-attach, type "screen -r".
15
16 You can read the docs of this tool to learn about all nifty stuff you
17 can do with it, like opening more screen windows from the same screen
18 session and switch between them.