From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 05:14:16
1 On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:54:10PM -0500, Michael Mol wrote
2 >
3 > I don't remember if Richard is on the -user list or not. I've no doubt
4 > he'd be happy to have your assistance; you put in a lot of work
5 > getting mdev to work for your purposes. (Whatever happened with that,
6 > anyway? Or am I getting the various walts in here mixed up?)
7
8 The Gentoo Wiki pages are at...
9 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
10 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
11
12 I don't think I can claim responsibility for Richard Yao's decision
13 (along with others) to fork udev. I was one of the more visible
14 malcontents here on the user list, but there were other factors.
15
16 For many people here, "the udev controversy" means either moving /usr
17 to /, or booting with initramd. If that had been it, the fork might've
18 never materialized. The current systemd-udev team managed to piss off a
19 lot of people.
20
21 - people like me who didn't want to repartition their hard drives or
22 go to initramd, just because Lennart declared separate /usr "broken"
23
24 - people who had device drivers break, or at least hang for 30 or 60
25 seconds at bootup, just because Lennart declared the old way of
28 - people who may not have been affected by the above, but were afraid
29 of Lennart's stated desire to roll udev completely into systemd and
30 thereby make systemd mandatory in linux
31
32 - and for good measure, throw in people who had problems with Lennart's
33 gratuitous sound daemon (pulseaudio) or gratutious network daemon
34 (avahi) whose primary function seems to be to auto-config link-local
35 addresses. And let's not forget the brouhaha over Poettering's and
36 Seiver's binary-syslog-with-undocumented-format idea
37 http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/11/23/1733236/secure-syslog-replacement-proposed
38
39 Lennart Poettering (and to a lesser extent Sievers) has pissed off a
40 lot of people (users, sysadmins, and developers). The situation resembles
41 the Xfree86 ==> Xorg revolt. Hopefully, the end result will be similar.
44 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
45 We are apparently better off trying to avoid udev like the plague.
46 Linus Torvalds; 2012/10/03 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/349