From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone succeeded with kmail2?
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 06:07:35
1 On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 18:09:27 +0100
2 "Peter Humphrey" <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > On 3/1/2013, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 09:43 +0000
7 > >Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
8 > >> When kmail was upgraded to 4.9.3 last month it made a complete hash
9 > >> of my e- mail system. In the end I moved my user out of the way and
10 > >> created a new user. Importing the e-mails from a backup of the old
11 > >> version omitted large numbers of e-mails, including a lot of
12 > >> complete folders. I also noticed that kmail had not created a
13 > >> trash folder.
14 > >
15 > >So the kdepim devs STILL haven't fixed that one? Oh dear.
16 >
17 > --->8
18 >
19 > Thanks for your thoughts Alan. I didn't like Claws much last time I
20 > tried it, but then that was some time ago.
21
22 Claws does take some getting used to. Most routine functions can be
23 keyboard-driven (read and fetch mail, go to next folder etc). I do find
24 the dialogs to set up filters are "verbose" and not what I'm used to
25 with gui apps - they work, there's is no oddities to what the filters
26 will do, but the way to get there has never felt exactly right.
29 > Does anyone recommend a mail client that doesn't rely too heavily on
30 > the mouse? I much prefer to navigate, reply etc with the keyboard.
31 > I've seen Evolution recommended; is that OK?
32
33 Mutt, pine and friends? Great for reading mailing lists, especially
34 those that frown on html mail.
35
36 And there's always gmail if you are happy for Google to read what you
37 read.
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com