From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Issue 3 - CD Playing
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 00:07:07
1 On 10/18/11 19:21, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Colleen Beamer
3 > <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi everyone,
5 >>
6 >> I have googled this problem and tried everything and can't seem to
7 >> resolve the issue.
8 >>
9 >> My CD drive will read data CD's, but will not play audio CD's. I've
10 >> tried with kscd and Kaffeine. Haven't installed amarok yet. I've
11 >> checked and rechecked my settings in the kernel. In /dev cdrom is a
12 >> symlink to sr0. Nothing I've read in anything that came up in my google
13 >> search helped.
14 >>
15 >> Oops! Forgot to add this to my original message:
16 >>
17 >> When I try to play an audio CD in kaffeine, I get an alert box that says:
18 >> Cannot find input plgin for MRL "cdda://"
19 >>
20 >> cdda is one of my USE flags. I have tried upgrading phonon-gstreamer
21 >> 'cause I read somewhere that the problem might be with phonon.
22 >>
23 >> Any ideas?
26 > Have you Googled extensively on that error message? It seems that
27 > there are a lot of people that have had it and most of the forum
28 > threads I looked at seemed to have either some suggestions or possibly
29 > answers.
30
31 Yes, I have googled for much of today. There are a lot of responses,
32 but I tried to stick to one where it was related to gentoo. Like I
33 said, there is a symlink that links cdrom to sr0. One of the things I
34 found when I googled said that they made a symlink to sr0 from cdrom.
35 That didn't make sense to me so. I didn't try it.
36
37 Another post suggested that there was a problem with phonon. Hence, I
38 emerge an upgrade (albeit unstable) to phonon-gstreamer. In honesty,
39 one thing I didn't try was writing a udev rule that was suggested.
40 Call me stubborn, but I've never had to write a rule to get an audio
41 CD to play before so, I will only do that as a last resort.
42
43 I've tried to stay away from posts that were back in 2003 and 2004
44 'cause they may not be relevant now.
45
46 The line in my fstab is:
47
48 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user 0 0
49
50 Maybe I should have said /dev/sr0?
51
52 I may have to keep plugging, but thought I would post in case anyone
53 else has encountered this problem.
57 Regards,
58
59 Colleen