From: Ian Clowes <clowes_ian@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] issue on binary merge
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:32:23
1 Sascha Lucas wrote:
2 >
3 > emerge -1 --usepkg --pretend --verbose pkg_spec_from_equery
4 >
5 > then the change in USE-Flags are showen and my _correct_ binarys are used.
8 There's probably a good reason for it being the way it is, but it
9 doesn't sound as transparent as we might like.
10
11 A further interesting scenario might be to have a binary package
12 available built with different USE flags to those on the target machine,
13 and seeing if it gets installed or not. I guess it shouldn't. But then
14 there's the CFLAGS issue as well, and I'm even more unsure how that's
15 supposed to be handled.
16
17 I'm still pretty new to Gentoo, but is this perhaps related to the
18 feature I've read about (and maybe misremembered) regarding only
19 packages that you explicity emerge going into world (dependencies
20 don't)? I wonder if you'd see different results if you explicitly
21 emerged cups rather than it having been implicity emerged due to a
22 dependency. By doing the emerge you described you've 'promoted' those
23 packages from implicit to explicit emerge.
24
25 IanC
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list