From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] X font problem
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 02:06:18
1 Hi all,
2
3 when I play around with Desktop > Preferences > Font in Gnome, I get
4 some strange behaviour.
5
6 Many fonts I select come up with strange characters for tabs, followed
7 by the real tab space. For example
8 <-- here I see a funny character, then the "<" about 2cm away.
9
10 The funny character can be:
11 courier light dotted square
12 courier-new square
13 terminal filled in rectangle
14 lucida-typewriter light dotted square
15
16 I also saw an 'a' for one font.
17
18 This isn't just fixed with fonts either. I have a whole host of fonts
19 installed, and for some I see the character, some I don't.
20
21 But then some, like courier 10 Pitch, appear fine.
22
23 I checked my xorg logs, and I can't see any helpful messages - no font
24 issues at least.
25
26 What now? This is a bit ugly and annoying obviously! What can I look
27 at next to see where the problem is coming from?
28
29 TIA,
33 Never tell people how to do things. Tell them WHAT to do and they will
34 surprise you with their ingenuity.
35 -- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list