From: Neil Walker <neil@×××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't linux#make menuconfig -- Makefile gone
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:46:34
1 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > I needed to configure iptables support into the kernel but when I
3 > tried to run make menuconfig got 'No rule to make target' error. The
4 > Makefile was gone. A casualty of a recent emerge -uDN world, I expect.
5 >
6 > So I ran
7 >
8 > distfiles# tar xvfj linux-2.6.29.tar.bz2 Makefile
9 >
10 > which told me 'tar: Makefile: Not found in archive'
11 >
12 > So where can I locate the Makefile for my kernel, assuming the above
13 > command is correct?
16 That's why I never set up a linux system without mc. It's just so much
17 easier when you can
18 look inside an archive and manipulate files just as if it were part of
19 the file system. :)
20
21 Anyway, the archive has a directory inside it (linux-2.6.29). That's
22 where all the files are.
23 So it would be /linux-2.6.29/Makefile.
24
25 Be lucky,
26
27 Neil