From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Fresh install and problem with net.* init.d script
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 02:17:35
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > dbus is NOT a desktop daemon. This is very important, and that single
3 > misunderstanding is probably behind all the fud you read about it.
4 >
5 > dbus implements a message bus - an amazingly useful thing to have.
6 >
7 > Why do you need or want a message bus?
8 >
9 > You might as well ask why do you need or want any other form of IPC you
10 > already have, as that is what dbus is. It's a very small, light daemon,
11 > can run system-wide or per-session and has the potential to many of the
12 > IPC implementations you already have. Those are the ones that don't
13 > happen to show up in ps so you hear very little whinging about them.
14
15 You might as well just use the existing IPC mechanisms too, especially on a
16 server. Oh wait, that would take experience and the humility borne of it.
17
18 > That desktop systems are the main user of dbus at this point in time
19 > doesn't change one bit what dbus is designed to do and it's usefulness.
20
21 Actually it was designed to be a desktop bus. That its mission has crept, or
22 arguably the "developer" has made a land-grab, doesn't change that.
23
24 Note I am not saying anything at all about the technical merits of dbus itself.
25 I actually quite like the base protocol, just not all the crap on top of it.
26 Kinda how I feel about the Java VM, fwtw.
27
28 Regards,
29 steveL
30 --
31 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)