From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cloning a directory hierarchy, but not the content
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:42:09
1 Am 29.01.2011 14:58, schrieb Alex Schuster:
2 > Hi there!
3 >
4 > I am currently putting extra backups to old hard drives I do no longer need
5 > for other purposes. After that I send the putput out ls -lR and du -m to my
6 > log directory so I can check what files are on which drive without having to
7 > attach the drive.
8 >
9 > Works, though a better method would be to clone the drive's root directory,
10 > but with all file sizes being zero. This way I can easily navigate the
11 > directory structure, instead of browsing through the ls-lR file. Is there a
12 > utility that does this? It would be even better if the files would be
13 > created as sparse files, faking the original size.
14 >
15 > I just wrote a little script that does this, but it does not do the sparse
16 > file thing yet, and would have problems with newline in file names. And I
17 > guess someone already wrote such a utility?
18 >
19 > Wonko
22 Use `truncate -s <size> <file>`
23
24 It creates a sparse file if the specified file is smaller than the
25 specified size. It will also create a new file if it does not yet exist.
26
27 In order to avoid trouble with line breaks in names, I recommend
28 something like:
29 find . -type f -print0 |
30 while read -d $'\0' file; do
31 echo "File=$file"
32 done
33
34 Or use similar commands accepting or outputting 0-byte terminated
35 strings, for example xargs -0, du -0, grep -z.
36
37 For copying file attributes from one file to another you can use `cp
38 --attributes-only`.
39
40 Hope this helps,
41 Florian Philipp