From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distfiles contains extra files?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 15:41:28
1 On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 15:07:19 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > I previously thought that /usr/portage/distfiles
4 > only contains tar files. I have not clean up the
5 > system, as I'm moving (dupicating some files for my
6 > /usr/local/ needs.
7
8 It contains everything downloaded by ebuilds.
9
10 > But I do not remember ever seeing any types of files
11 > other than compressed tar files in /distfiles/
12 >
13 > Now I have (sampling):
14 >
15 > *.pathch
16 >
17 > I thought all patch files where kept in the subdirs where the
18 > ebuilds are located (files dir)? It is still where most *.patch
19 > files are located.
20
21 ISTR the policy is to only include smaller patch files in the tree, large
22 patches are downloaded to avoid everyone having to sync them.
25 > *.exe (like verdan32.exe webdin32.exe )
26
27 These are the installers for the MS corefonts.
28
29 > I guess I need "enlightenment" ?
30
31 You can use whichever DE you prefer :)
32
33 > Also, in the past I have manually aged/pruned or size/prunded
34 > the disfiles dir, but I stopped doing that in the age
35 > of 2T+ sized drives....maybe I need to return to cleaning up
36 > distfiles/ by hand?
37
38 You can use eclean to remove obsolete distfiles and packages. But don't
39 use eclean on a shared $DISTDIR.
43 Neil Bothwick
44
45 God is real, unless specifically declared integer.