From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2018 04:39:41
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/12/2018 03:01, Dale wrote:
3 >> I just noticed the video card that is coming requires a power cable.  I
4 >> never had one that powerful before.  O_O
5 >
6 > You've been out of the loop it seems. GPUs have required power cables
7 > for over a decade now. The GPU I use actually needs *two* power cables
8 > and places a minimum wattage requirement on the power supply... :-P
14 I've seen them before, online of course, I've just never owned one. Keep
15 in mind, Kpatience and watching TV from my computer is about as tough as
16 it gets on my video card.  Until a year or so ago, it was just
17 Kaptience.  Watching TV does put a bit of a load on the current card but
18 it works fine even in HD.
19
20 I found the card used on ebay.  I think $70.00 is the most I've ever
21 spent on a video card, even a new one.  That said, the biggest reason
22 I'm getting a newer card is not because I need the power, I just want
23 newer and more stable drivers.  My current card uses old drivers.  I've
24 ran into a couple bad ones recently.  I'm hoping the newer drivers will
25 be supported better.  They may not but I'm hoping.  Old card uses 340
26 drivers.  New card can use 410 or 415 drivers.  I might add, the current
27 card has a LOT of hours on it.  I'm surprised the fan still spins at
28 all.  Since I plan to keep it as a spare, I'm going to try to find a new
29 cooling system, either new heat sink or fan or both.
30
31 I found the power supply box and pretty sure I have the right cable. The
32 ends look right at least.  We'll see when it gets here I guess.
33
34 Maybe I can play some sort of game when it gets here.  Hmmmmm, I'd
35 rather have a remote to control the videos on the TV that play from my
36 puter tho.  Heck, pause, skip forward/reverse would be handy.
37
38 I'm getting up with the big dogs now.  ROFLBO
39
40 Dale
41