From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] .tmp-unverified-download-quarantine
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 11:15:41
1 On Monday, 13 January 2020 10:42:57 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 10:17:06 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 > > Right, I haven't changed them on this installation either and emerge
4 > > FEATURES include
5 > >
6 > > '... userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync'.
7 > >
8 > > With 'userpriv' portage is meant to drop privileges to the owner of the
9 > > gentoo repo directory, but if the directory is owned by root to start
10 > > with I am not clear how userpriv is meant to work.
11 >
12 > According to the make.conf man page, userpriv will
13 >
14 > "Allow portage to drop root privileges and compile packages as
15 > portage:portage without a sandbox"
16
17 According to my emerge --info output I have sandbox, usersandbox and userpriv,
18 all set. The owner of my portage directory and all files therein is
19 root:root. Should the ownership be portage:portage? What is the default?
20
21 I haven't performed a full portage sync for a while now to confirm how long it
22 takes here, but a re-sync over a slow ADSL takes ~20 minutes on a dual core
23 ancient Intel, much less on my more modern PCs. More than 80% of this time is
24 spent on verifying the signatures of the downloaded tmp sync file. I would
25 think on a modern AMD Ryzen PC like the OP's it should take a fraction of the
26 time.
27 --
28 Regards,
29