From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Palemoon as Tor browser? WAS: What Firefox (what browser) for Online-Banking?
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 23:13:36
1 On 170107-23:27+0100, Floyd Anderson wrote:
2 > On Sat, 07 Jan 16:51:41 +0100
3 > Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > >Hi,
5 > >
6 > >what Firefox-Version/what browser is the most secure one for Online-Banking?
7 >
8 > Who is able to tell about that? I think nobody which has evaluated this
9 > for every version (if some really has) is reading this list.
10 >
11 > I would recommended at least a separate well configured browser profile
12 > for the banking purpose and to strip off all unnecessary connections.
13 >
14 > The latter can be achieved by using a Proxy Auto Config (PAC) file [1].
15 > Have a look at [2] for more background information on this — even when
16 > it’s quite old.
17 >
18 > For Mozilla Firefox create a file (e.g. “proxy.pac”) with following
19 > content for example (don’t copy ’n paste, the spaces aren’t such):
20 >
21 > function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
22 >     // Proxy bypass logic
23 >     if (
24 >            dnsDomainIs(host, '.your-bank.com')
25 >     //  || dnsDomainIs(host, 'addons.cdn.mozilla.net')
26 >     //  || dnsDomainIs(host, 'addons.mozilla.org')
27 >     ) { return 'DIRECT'; }
28 >
29 >     // Redirect all other requests through localhost which should always
30 >     // fail due no listen server.
31 >     return 'PROXY 127.0.0.1:65535';
32 > }
33 >
34 > and place it in the root of your browser profile, apply it due property
35 > “network.proxy.autoconfig_url” or via GUI by using the “file:” protocol
36 > in about:preferences#advanced > Network > Connection Settings.
37 >
38 > Before you ask, I’ve never tried to use a relative path definition which
39 > may be important on an USB device nor can say if it’ll also work.
40 >
41 > Notice the comment lines for the mozilla domains. Comment those out if
42 > you really need to use add-ons in a banking profile and want to have a
43 > more comfortable way to update them. But you know, comfort/add-ons and
44 > security is often like fire and water nowadays.
45 >
46 > To test that only your banking connection is possible invoke:
47 >
48 > /usr/bin/firefox --private-window "https://www.example.com/" --no-remote -P banking.profile
51 > [1] <https://calomel.org/proxy_auto_config.html>
52 > [2] <https://web.archive.org/web/20040821144727/http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/proxy/adminux/>
53
54 The above method certainly looks appealing to me and calomel.org is
55 designed great. But that would take me time to understand.
56
57 Can I ask you, and other readers, a question which is only partly
58 related to the above.
59
60 Related insomuch as Tor is about proxying as well.
61
62 I'm looking at: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Tor
63
64 It appears to me that, with a grsecurity-hardened kernel-base Gentoo
65 machine, using TBB is next to impossible (tried it, doesn't work the
66 simple user way _at all_). Neither did I have much luck with Whonix, since
67 porting Whonix to Gentoo appears dead, to say just so much about my
68 tries. Also the Tails page... Aaahhh, I have to find it, to make at
69 least that info complete...
70
71 https://tails.boum.org/doc/advanced_topics/virtualization/virt-manager/index.en.html
72
73 [Also that Tails page] requires translation for a non-dbus system
74 like mine (no dbus in your system, no GUI virt-manager you get), the
75 translation (not languagewise but methodwise) of that GUI virt-manager
76 tutorial into virsh command line tutorial, which hasn't been done yet.
77
78 I close to entirely abandoned Firefox because Mozilla promissed with
79 solemn repeated oaths, that they will impose Pulseaudio on all Linuces,
80 else no audio in Firefox (a long --heavily diverted-- thread about that
81 at end-of-2016 in this ML), and I am using Palemoon, pretty happily so
82 far, for all any any browsing.
83
84 Has anybody got Palemoon to work as Tor browser like Firefox is set to
85 work in the abovementioned https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Tor page?
86
87 That I believe would be great, because I'm banking on Palemoon to grow,
88 and it appears to me they might be good on privacy, much better that
89 Mozilla (well I'm only betting on them, I'm not an expert to be able to
90 really tell...)!
93 Miroslav Rovis
94 Zagreb, Croatia
95 http://www.CroatiaFidelis.hr