From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: FYI - 2.6.38 desktop responsiveness patch + how to do it now
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:45:47
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 18:03 on Friday 19 November 2010, Nikos
2 Chantziaras did opine thusly:
3
4 > > Perhaps distros will pick up on this and offer other criteria, maybe
5 > > something like a profile selectable at boot-time or maybe even runtime.
6 > >
7 > > What I would like to see is flash goes into it's own group and gets
8 > > throttled. Everything else running under KDE is in a different group and
9 > > left to run full speed
10 >
11 > I was kind of hoping this would give results in the same league as the
12 > BFS patch, but it seems it something that needs tweaking and doesn't
13 > "just work for everything." It doesn't look like it's for desktop
14 > users, only for "make -j999" people.
15
16 Maybe I expected more, but I don't seem to feel the improvement in Con's
17 scheduler. Perhaps it's a perception thing.
18
19 About two months ago I did reboot into a gentoo kernel and things did feel a
20 little different but not in a way I could put my fingers on. I put it down to
21 running a huge compile in screen. I *do* feel the incremental improvements in
22 KDE since about 4.3, mostly because new versions come out rapidly.
23
24 What do you perceive with BFS vs mainline/gentoo/whatever?
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com