From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hacked by association?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:09:18
1 On Wednesday 19 September 2007 07:16:09 pm Grant wrote:
2 > > > I recognize everything in 'ps -ef' I think, but I've never really used
3 > > > netstat before. Under "Active Internet connections" I don't
4 > > > recognize:
5 > > >
6 > > > tcp localhost:10030
7 > > > tcp *:snpp
8 > >
9 > > Also, snpp is for pagers:
10 > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Network_Paging_Protocol
11 >
12 > With netstat -lp it looks like *:snpp is associated with apache2 and
13 > is using the same pid as *:http and *:https. I've never set up
14 > anything having to do with a pager. I've never had a pager. What can
15 > I do to investigate that further?
16 >
17 > > Then run lsof (check man lsof) to see if there is anything suspicious
18 > > there, like another user logged in either as root or with a different
19 > > name.
20 >
21 > Any handy lsof commands?
24 Not sure about lsof... but something I did was to boot from a rescue disk,
25 mounting the suspected partition and piped the outout from tree to a text
26 file... A glance through the text file showed a lot of stuff from alien
27 sources, explainging where some storage space had disappeared. The fix in
28 that situation was a simple reformat and better inchains rules. Yeah,
29 ipchains... this was a few years back.
30
31 Good luck Grant.
38 From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride
39 --