From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with openrc-0.18.4 and ifplugd
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 23:33:00
1 On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 15:15:57 +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > As far as I understood, you now start ifplugd using the associated
4 > > net.* init script. Openrc will detect that ifplugd is installed and
5 > > then wait until a cable is plugged, plus starting an instance
6 > > listening on the device.
7 >
8 > No, this is not how ifplugd worked, for as long as I can remember. I
9 > never started the interface, or had to start ifplugd by an init.d
10 > script or manually.
11
12 It may not be how you used it, but that is how ifplugd (or netplug) is
13 supposed to be used with openrc. It detects whether ifplugd or netplug is
14 installed when the interface is started up and starts it up to monitor
15 the interface using the correct options. It's been that way fr a lot of
16 years and was documented, I think in the comments in the net.* scripts.
17
18 Your approach may have worked in the past but it was unsupported, now it
19 appears that it doesn't work.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 WYTYSYDG - What you thought you saw, you didn't get.