From: Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel questions
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:31:10
1 1.) Is there a Map: modules to configration parameters?
2
3 "lspci -k" lists me all modules of the running genkernel.
4 Unfortunately the configuration parameters of the kernel have
5 different names.
6
7
8 2.) Which approach would you recommend?
9
10 To customize the kernel I can either strip down the configuration of
11 the genkernel or start with an empty .config file.
12
13
14 3.) Is there a concept behind the default settings of make menuconfig
15 if you start with an empty .config?
16
17 I don't see it.
18
19
20 4.) Is there a concept behind the default settings of make if .config is empty?
21
22 Similar question. Running make with an empty .config file starts a
23 questionary on the shell, with given default settings.
24
25 Accepting all defaults doesn't even contain ext2 or ext3 on the one
26 hand, but a few comparingly rare selections on the other.
27
28
29 5.) Where are my platform specific drivers?
30
31 X86 Platform Specific Device Drivers --->
32
33 I get them if I strip down genkernel.
34
35 Now I started with the shell questionary and than I edit the result
36 with menuconfig. The submenu doesn't open or is empty.
37
38 Al