From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to teach emerge -sync to sync packages?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:07:13
1 On Friday 18 January 2008, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 18 Jan, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 > > Am Freitag, 18. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Helmut Jarausch:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >>
6 > >> I haven't found out how to teach emerge to rsync
7 > >> /usr/portage/packages
8 > >> as well.
9 > >
10 > > This is not was emerge -sync is for. If you want to have _all_
11 > > distfiles available locall, you have to setup a mirror. AFAIK this
12 > > is also documented somewhere.
13 >
14 > No, I have a different situation.
15
16 Have you looked at the various PORTAGE_RSYNC_* options in 'man 5
17 make.conf' ?
18
19 Alternatively you could just create a wrapper script (called say
20 emerge-world) which does the correct combination of your custom
21 commands, then run that from cron on the slaves
22
23 alan
26 > I many several identical machines.
27 > On the 'main' machine I have
28 > FEATURES="buildpkg"
29 > in /etc/make.conf
30 >
31 > Then, from time to time I synchronize the other machines.
32 > On these machines,
33 > SYNC="rsync://<my main machine>/gentoo-portage
34 >
35 > On the 'slaves' I do
36 > rm -f /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp*
37 > emerge --sync
38 >
39 > and I'd like this 'sync' to rsync /usr/portage/packages,
40 > as well, since lateron I do
41 >
42 > emerge --update --deep --usepkg world
43 >
44 > to avoid length compilation of packages on
45 > each machine.
46 >
47 > Currently I need
48 > /usr/bin/rsync -avz --delete
49 > --exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes rsync://<main
50 > machine>/gentoo-portage/ . in addition to
51 > emerge -sync
52 >
53 > I just wonder if it's possible to tell emerge somewhere to not
54 > exclude the 'packages' subdirectory.
55 >
56 > thanks for all your comments,
57 > Helmut.
60 > --
61 > Helmut Jarausch
62 >
63 > Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
64 > RWTH - Aachen University
65 > D 52056 Aachen, Germany
70 Alan McKinnon
71 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com