From: Michael Mair-Keimberger <m.mairkeimberger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question about binhost's
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:47:02
1 On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 08:41:05AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 18:46:45 +1100, wraeth wrote:
3 >
4 > > > Interestingly, how do you remove an binary package using portage when
5 > > > you no longer need it? Using 'rm -i <package>' manually?
6 > >
7 > > The `eclean` utility from app-portage/gentoolkit can do this for you (as
8 > > well as maintaining your distfiles directory).
9 >
10 > I didn't think eclean could handle individual packages? They are just
11 > files, so rm is fine.
12 >
13 > > There's nothing overly special about it, though, so if you feel the need
14 > > you can just `rm` files (though eclean is better).
15 >
16 > Beware of eclean if you use a shared $DISTDIR (or a shared $PKGDIR) if
17 > you have computers with the same architecture and settings). eclean run n
18 > one computer may remove files wanted by others on the network.
21 > --
22 > Neil Bothwick
23 >
24 > There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
25
26 Thanks for clarification!
27
28 So far I couldn't reproduce my "problem" anymore and I think I just made
29 a wrong observation.
30 Initially I asked because I was pretty sure I had a binary package of
31 traceroute-2.0.18 which I believe were deleted after I upgraded to
32 traceroute-2.0.21.
33 However, I did some tests and it seems traceroute was the only example I
34 could find were this happen and now I'm not even sure if I ever had an
35 binary package of traceroute-2.0.18.
36
37 Here is also a brief explanation of what I'm actually trying to achieve:
38 A few weeks ago I set up another gentoo system on a rather old system
39 (core2duo/4gb ram/1TB storage). Since this one should be just a computer
40 for toying and trying around I thought about to put rootfs on a lvm
41 partition so that I can easily clone the whole system.
42 This works flawless. With a little nice script I've wrote myself I can
43 easily clone/delete/backup/restore complete system's in minutes, which is
44 why I already have 6 different systems.
45 - gentoo_base
46 - gentoo_cinnamon
47 - gentoo_gnome (with systemd)
48 - gentoo_kde
49 - gentoo_kde_testing
50 - gentoo_lxqt
51 I guess the names are self-explaining.
52
53 Moreover, I also had the idea to share similar packages across these
54 systems. This would mean, if I already installed xorg on
55 gentoo_cinnamon, I don't have to build it again on gentoo_kde. In this
56 case binary packages are a big win. Only packages with different use
57 flags would be rebuild. It's especially handy on packages like firefox,
58 chromium or libreoffice. :)
59
60 After I though old binaries were deleted I was eagerly to find a
61 solution for that, since it would make my setup less practical.
62 After all I should have checked other packages more carefully before
63 asking stupid questions, but laziness lead me to my initial mail...
64
65 Anyway:
66 Older packages are kept, so everything seems to work as expected. I've
67 also checked for rm/elcean in cron and other places were it could run
68 automatically but I couldn't find anything.
69 I also tested on different systems with different packages. No problems
70 so far.
71
72 I'll keep an eye on it, but I guess there wasn't really a problem.
75 greetings
76 Michael Mair-Keimberger