From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a gentoo guest on virtualbox?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 19:28:48
1 On Tuesday 31 May 2011 08:07:24 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 13:56, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 > >> Meh, I clicked 'Send' too fast.
6 > >>
7 > >> *My* suggested solution:
8 > >>
9 > >> Generate an initramfs containing udev. The hands-down easiest way is
10 > >> using genkernel's 'only create an initramfs' switch (sorry I forgot
11 > >> what exactly).
12 > >
13 > > good god no, please, anything but genkernel.
14 > >
15 > > That thing is an attempt to emulate binary distros which require an
16 > > initramfs to work properly (for any sane definition of "work") as the
17 > > person building the installer has no idea what hardware the user will
18 > > have. In Gentoo the user knows exactly what they have so there's no
19 > > need for a gigantic hardware-detecting workaround at boot time.
20 > >
21 > >> This needs to be done exactly once throughout the life of your VM.
22 > >>
23 > >> (To the herd of Gentoo graybeards, feel free to CMIIW)
24 > >
25 > > Or wait a few days for vapier's (posting under his other name of
26 > > spanky) sane advice to be implemented. His proposal is the sole voice
27 > > of reason in that bug thread....
28 >
29 > True. But I was having problem installing 2 servers on top of XenServer.
30 >
31 > So I cheated and ran 'genkernel initramfs' exactly once. At least I
32 > got myself a booting system. :-)
33 >
34 > When SpanKY's makedev gets stabilized and pushed to baselayout, I'll
35 > then happily ditch the genkernel cheat for my next VMs :-)
36
37 Are you sure that manually creating /dev/console and /dev/null isn't all that
38 is required? The rest of the devices will be created by udev when it runs at
39 boot time.
42 Regards,
43 Mick