From: Matthias Fechner <idefix@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Something like nullfs (FreeBSD) available in linux
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:39:27
1 Dear list,
2
3 I want to build up a NFS share for several host.
4 The base system is always equal, only some files are different (files in
5 /etc and /var, maybe more).
6
7 The structure should look like:
8 Base system is on /basesystem
9
10 Then I want a directory for every host:
11 /nfsroot/host1
12 /nfsroot/host2
13 ..
14 /nfsroot/hostn
15
16 Client 1 will boot via lan and mount the /nfsroot/host1 via NFS.
17 On the server the mount could look like:
18 mount -t nullfs /basesystem /nfsroot/host1
19 mount -t nullfs /basesystem /nfsroot/host2
20
21 If the host1 changes now a file the changed file is not stored in
22 /basesystem but in /nfsroot/host1.
23 (so you can think about a filesystem in two layers, the ground layer is
24 /basesystem and readonly, changes will go to /nfsroot/hostn)
25
26 If i upgrade the /basesystem all files should be available for all hosts
27 expect the files the host changed by itself (they are stored in the
28 nfsroot/hostn directory).
29
30 In FreeBSD there is a file system available called nullfs which could be
31 used for this.
32 Is there a similar filesystem for Linux available, too?
33
34 Thanks,
35 Matthias
38 "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
39 build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to
40 produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." --
41 Rich Cook