From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: Rebuilding an NTFS directory structure
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:49:28
1 Hello list,
2
3 Someone not far from here has yanked his USB disk out of his computer once
4 too often, without unmounting it, and now the whole disk is shown as off-line
5 and inaccessible by his WinXP system. I'm trying to recover his data for
6 him, which is mostly music files.
7
8 Does anyone here know of a tool that can rebuild an NTFS directory
9 structure? I've tried several tools I found with Google, but the only one
10 that had any success has extracted hundreds of small text files and lots of
11 mp3 and other files, but with arbitrary names and no indication of how it all
12 hangs together. It doesn't look very useful to me.
13
14 It's a lesson hard learnt for the lad, of course, but the problem with that
15 is that it's another person's data, so any help would be gratefully
16 received.
19 Rgds
20 Peter