From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libjpeg, 6 vs 7, and emacs
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:52:03
1 On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 12:14 PM, <felix@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Gentoo updates refuse to install both versions 6 and 7 of jpeg,
3 > and I have found that certain applications, like emacs, refuse
4 > to remerge with -7 so I have been refusing the -7 update for a
5 > month or two now. Every once in a while, one slips by me,
6 > usually because I forget to remove thunderbird from the list of
7 > updates, and I find out when emacs won't run. If I try to build
8 > emacs with -7, it complains, so I remerge jpeg-6 and then emacs
9 > is happy again. I do not understand the compat lib; it also blocks,
10 > and since I can just refuse the -7 update and keep on working, I
11 > have not looked into it much, figuring that sooner or later emacs
12 > and other packages will be upgraded to handle jpeg-7.
13
14 jpegcompat-6b replaces jpeg-6b IF you have jpeg-7 also installed. Any
15 packages that depend on jpeg-6b should compile with jpegcompat-6b
16 also.