From: Hartmut Figge <h.figge@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] IPv4 & IPv6
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 06:09:52
1 Greetings,
2
3 I do not know why my machine suddenly local uses IPv6 instead of IPv4. I
4 noticed it today when I was unable to retrieve mail. syslog now shows
5
6 xinetd[3763]: START: pop-3 from=::1
7 instead of the former
8 xinetd[3761]: START: pop-3 pid=22632 from=127.0.0.1
9
10 and 'telnet localhost pop3' fails unless I force IPv4 with
11 'telnet -4 localhost pop3'.
12
13 I was unable to find the place where I could change this behavior, so I
14 used a dirty trick.
15
16 ----- /etc/hosts -----
17 # IPv4 and IPv6 localhost aliases
18 127.0.0.1 localhost
19 # ::1 localhost
21
22 Commenting out the last line helped and I could get my mails. But that
23 is really a dirty trick. *g*.
24
25 I have never used IPv6, I don't intend to and I have forgotten most of
26 what I may have known about the issue. Hopefully on of you knows the
27 right way.
28
29 Hartmut