From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X Freezes With Firefox on Many Post 2.6.38 Kernels
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 09:13:55
1 On Friday, July 29, 2011 02:41:20 PM Dale wrote:
2 > Joost Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > To check this, you could try creating a new file (with size = 0) on the
4 > > root of that drive, like (After you close and save all your work):
5 > >
6 > > touch<mountpoint of drive>/LetMeseeIfThisWorksOrIfTheKernelPanicsAgain
7 > >
8 > > If it doesn't panic, check if that file actually exists.
9 > >
10 > > --
11 > > Joost
12 >
13 > It worked fine and it was there with 0 bytes. Weird.
14
15 Hmm...
16
17 > I sort of gave up on this drive. I had a very kind soul to send me a
18 > video card when I did this build. He also sent me a 250Gb drive. I
19 > copied all I could to that but did lose a LOT of my videos and such.
20 > Anyway, I'm doing this right now:
21 >
22 > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc
23 >
24 > I figure that will put it back like brand new and very blank. I'll
25 > recreate my partition, throw a file system on it and see if it will let
26 > me copy back to it or not.
27
28 It will, is this the dodgy one?
29 If yes, and this works, then there likely is/was something wrong with the
30 filesystem itself that the filecheck tools didn't find.
31 In this case, a copy would be really usefull for developers to try to find out
32 what was actually causing the issue.
33
34 > While I am at it, what is the best file system for videos? That is the
35 > biggest thing I use that drive for. I had a LOT of NCIS, CSI and other
36 > shows that are now gone. Anyway, what are opinions on a file system for
37 > videos on a 750Gb drive? I had reiserfs on it before.
38
39 For large filesizes, I tend to use XFS.
40 For small filesizes (like email and website), I tend to use reiserfs.
41
42 Not sure what other options there are.
43 JFS might also be good for large filesizes, but then you definitely need a
44 good and reliable UPS to shut down cleanly. (If I remember it all correctly)
47 Joost