From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 32/64bit confusion
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:16:22
1 On 08/24/2010 11:53 PM, tparker@××××××××××.net wrote:
2 > I have a new (first) gentoo amd64 install, multilib, and have been
3 > searching the docs, forums and google for information on how to handle
4 > emerges for 32bit programs on the 64bit install.
5 >
6 > I have found some references to using -bin for 32bit programs (example:
7 > "emerge wine-bin" to get the 32bit version or "emerge wine" to get the
8 > 64 bit version) but I haven't been able to get that to work; emerge
9 > wine-bin returns: 'emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "wine-bin".'
10
11 There is no such package. There are only very few -bin packages. In
12 other words, "-bin" is not a magic string you append to package names.
13
14 As for Wine, the ebuild changed recently to offer both 64bit as well as
15 32bit Wine. I think the binaries are called "wine32" and "wine64". Two
16 new USE flags have been introduced to control this: "win32" and "win64".
17 By default, both are enabled. If you disable the "win64" USE flag,
18 you'll get only the 32bit Wine. And vice versa of course.