From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mmx sse sse2 use flags
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:59:32
1 quoth the Matthew R. Lee:
2 > I need a bit of advice. I have these use flags enabled for mplayer (mmx,
3 > sse, sse2) But I've also seen them as possible use flags for a number of
4 > other programs, I'm about to install some kind of dvdripper. So the
5 > question is should I enable these flags on a case by case basis or stick
6 > them in my make.config? And if so should I use all three or just one?
7 > Thanks in advance
8 > Matt
9
10 Have a look at `grep flags /proc/cpuinfo` to see what your proc supports.
11 There is then no harm in adding them to your /etc/make.conf USE variable.
12
13 Note: I think that some ebuilds use mmx2 while some use mmxext. AFAICT they
14 enable the same thing. You may also want to add 3dnow and 3dnowext if they
15 are supported by your processor.
16
17 -d
18 --
19 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
20 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
21 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list