From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SLES or gentoo ... ?
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 21:58:42
1 On 05/08/2013 23:20, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 >
3 > ! Pls don't flame me :-) !
4 >
5 > Don't misunderstand ... I happily trust gentoo on most of my customers
6 > servers.
7 >
8 > A customer of mine chose SLES 10 back then to run a VMware-Server
9 > installation (1.0.x back then) because they had some big
10 > company-license-pool available.
11 >
12 > That server is to be replaced and I asked them if they still want to use
13 > SLES because of that. Answer: no ... no more licenses available/paid.
14 >
15 > So they asked me for alternatives and I told them about gentoo.
16 >
17 > My question:
18 >
19 > how would you guys compare the 2 choices to report it back to them?
20 >
21 > People buy stuff like SLES to get/feel the feeling that all the choice
22 > and review of changes is done for them .... we didn't need one
23 > support-call in the last few years. And the gentoo-community is a
24 > helpful and competent one (yes, thank you!).
25 >
26 > So I tend to do the job with gentoo ... better they pay my work than
27 > some never-used support-contract ;-)
28 >
29 > I just plan to use stable gentoo there, be conservative with changes and
30 > keep the system up-to-date regularly ... as I use ~amd64 on my main
31 > machines I think I am rather informed about any *bigger* or problematic
32 > upgrades.
33 >
34 > It's gonna be a QEMU/KVM-host .. this and some rather powerful server
35 > should speed up those smallish and dusty VMs.
36 >
37 > Any thoughts? How to professionally deploy gentoo linux as a one-man-show?
38 >
39 > ;-)
40 >
41 > Best regards, Stefan
45 I despise SLES intensely[1]. Even more than Windows. So this may be biased.
46
47 The primary question as I see it is
48
49 Who will maintain this installation?
50
51 If the answer is you and 1|2 guys you train yourself, by all means go
52 right ahead and use gentoo. You already know it well so the quality of
53 service you offer a customer is likely to be better than if you went say
54 Centos.
55
56 If the answer is you plus other guys but you don't know who they are or
57 how good they are or if you get to train them, then gentoo starts
58 getting risky. You don't want a gentoo box where the admin is the
59 "emerge world && reboot" and walk away kind of guy.
60
61 I think you fall in the first class. And our Infrastructure team has
62 also never had to log a VMware service call. Our managed service team
63 that faces clients - very different story and not applicable here.
64
65 I find that gentoo does not scale well in corporates where machines are
66 a mix of everything. It takes too much brain power to update them. It
67 also doesn't work well if you have to give admin rights to people of
68 little skill.
69
70 Where gentoo shines is
71
72 - small installs that need something none standard
73 - large pools of identical hosts that are somehow non-standard so you
74 get to build what you want once and deploy it many times
75 - embedded. Your tools let you automate the build end-to-end
79 [1] A predecessor used SLES 9 & 10 for everything coz he thought it was
80 awesome. Nothing could ever get updated as it was always manual,
81 SuSEconfig kept biting us in the teeth hard and it was just awful for
82 anyone used to working on *nix at any leveol. Fine for Windows admins
83 moving over though...
86 Alan McKinnon
87 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com