From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: new system hardware
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 20:23:00
1 James wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> I guess it is good for the folks that use water cooling tho. I run
6 >> plenty cool and quiet with air so I'm not planning to switch. I still
7 >> like my CPUs to be bare when possible then purchase my cooler separately.
8 > For me, it's basic thermodynamics. Water as a (liquid at working temperatures)
9 > fluid, moves orders of magnitude more heat than air (as working fluid) does,
10 > Sure Glycol or TEG (Tetraethylene Glycol) is best, but I do not have time
11 > to find a non corrosive, non conducting fluid in lieu of water (although Silicone
12 > brake fluid or DOT-5 might just do the trick). Sorry for the digression.....
13 >
14 > The only caveat, is to get a cooling system, that is made of robust, quality
15 > components. Also, monitoring the temperature is important, and it'd be
16 > nice to have a micro pressure transmitter, downstream of the pumping mechanism
17 > to ensure no leaks by detecting tiny leaks BEFORE they happen (delta-P).
18 >
19 > The quite nature of water cooling is keen for me (old ears do not
20 > filter out noise so well anymore....)
21 >
22 > I see other AMD processors (FX8150) with a water cooler included, but not the
23 > FX8350? (googling came up short).... on Amazon or elsewhere for sale.
24 >
25 > I did find this:
26 > http://www.asetek.com/liquid-cpu-cooling.html
27 >
28 > suggesting on cost effective water cooling for the FX8350?
29 >
30 > James
37 Well, my air cooling system is quiet. I can't hear the fans. Actually,
38 the top case fan makes more noise when it is cool than when it is warm
39 and spinning fast. I think it is out of balance and wobbles around in
40 there when spinning slow. I have to either make it go faster or buy a
41 new fan. Anyway, while compiling something like LOo, gcc or something
42 that takes a long while and really uses the CPU, the highest temp I have
43 ever seen is 105F for the CPU and it was pretty warm in this room so I
44 turned on the A/C. That temp is on air. Again, I have a Cooler Master
45 HAF-932 case with the giant 230mm fans. I'm serious, my bed is like 3
46 feet away and I can NOT hear the computer at all, not even when
47 compiling something when the room is warm.
48
49 Also, I don't like liquids around my computer. I keep a glass of sweet
50 tea on the head of my bed but I NEVER place any liquid close enough it
51 could spill on my computer. I don't even trust myself because accidents
52 happen. I just don't like water or other liquids around my computer. I
53 never have and likely never will. As long as a CPU can be cooled by
54 air, I plan to use air. This is my cooler:
55
56 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118059
57
58 I bought the best cooler I could get at the time that was within reason
59 price wise. It's large, efficient, has a large quiet fan and it does a
60 really good job on temps. I also used a really good thermal compound too.
61
62 I'm not saying others shouldn't use water, I'm just saying I don't plan
63 to use it until I have no choice but to.
64
65 Dale
66
70 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!