From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox crashes on some www-pages on a newer Gentoo system
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 10:57:40
1 On Friday, 27 July 2018 11:44:08 BST gevisz wrote:
2 > 2018-07-27 12:44 GMT+03:00 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
3
4 > > PAM is used to separate applications from the underlying
5 > > authentication mechanisms. It checks OS user/account/passwd/session
6 > > authentications when required by applications. This is the backbone
7 > > of managing Linux authentications today, although some applications
8 > > retain their own application level authentication mechanism (e.g. SSH).
9 >
10 > So, do you think that global -pam use flag can cause Firefox
11 > and QupZilla to crash on loging web-pages?
12
13 You can run them with strace to see if they are trying to access any pam
14 modules, but I would think it unlikely.
15
16 I bet this is something to do with the graphics drivers. Later versions of
17 browsers are heavy on hardware acceleration and can stress some graphics
18 drivers causing crashes like this. Geolocation and other pop ups use the GPU
19 to create rendering effects and this could be the cause of the crash.
20
21 PS. My wife's FF started crashing recently whenever she closes a single tab -
22 but not every time. :-/
25 Regards,
26 Mick