From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Very bad system response
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:38:47
1 Hi,
2
3 Am Dienstag, 6. Februar 2007 schrieb Pierre-Yves Rofes:
4 > On Tue, February 6, 2007 9:29 pm, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
5 > > From time to time my system comes to a complete halt, that means not a
6 > > single
7 > > application shows any response to mouse and/or keyactions, sshing into it
8 > > takes forever. After a while (up to ~30s ) normal reaction is back again.
9 > > Strange thing is, there is no activity at the times this happens. Reading
10 > > email and browsing the web is all that is needed. CPU is at 3-5%
11 > > according to
12 > > top, mem has ~1GB free according to free.
13
14 > Maybe a faulty hard drive with bad sectors that can't be read. Anything in
15 > /var/log/messages or any other log file?
16
17 no sorry, I should have mentioned that. Nothing in the logs.
18 I am currently trying out, what Etaoin Shrdlu suggested in the
19 thread "Performance problem at writing big files and Multitasking".
20 I switched from cfq to deadline scheduler. No hang since I did that. Maybe
21 that did the trick? I'll let you know :)
22
23 > Pierre-Yves Rofes
24
25 Thanks,