From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 11:55:32
1 Am 26.03.2015 um 01:46 schrieb microcai:
2 > on Saturday 21 March 2015 13:58:45,Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 3:39 PM, German <gentgerman@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> No, I am trying to shutdown from a console
6 >>> Well, the old answer would be that you need to use sudo to run it, as
7 >>> shutting down is a privileged operation.
8 >>>
9 >>> I suspect that the new answer is that with appropriate
10 >>> policykit/consolekit/etc settings you can probably allow somebody
11 >>> sitting at a physical console to shut down the system, or any
12 >>> logged-in user if you prefer. However, I haven't actually set that up
13 >>> myself.
14 >> logind does that for you automagically™. The first seat has the rights to
15 >> poweroff or reboot the machine, and it can differentiate between local and
16 >> remote logins. You can check if your user session has the permissions to
17 >> poweroff/reboot via dbus:
18 >>
19 >> $ gdbus call --system --dest org.freedesktop.login1 --object-path
20 >> /org/freedesktop/login1 --method org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.CanPowerOff
21 >> ('yes',)
22 >>
23 >> $ gdbus call --system --dest org.freedesktop.login1 --object-path
24 >> /org/freedesktop/login1 --method org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.CanReboot
25 >> ('yes',)
26 >>
27 >> But you need systemd to use logind1. There has been some attempts to
28 >> reimplement logind outside systemd, but I'm not sure how advanced they are.
29 >>
30 >> This kind of problems were one of the reasons for creating logind.
31 >>
32 > and dump people keep talking nonsencely that sysvinit is enough while it
33 > cannot even handle reboot for normal user. sad.
38 it can. Did for decaded.
39
40 Dumb systemd fanbois spouting their lies everywhere. Sad.