From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ipw2200 chipset mini wireless card
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 13:56:27
1 On Friday 05 May 2006 08:44, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > I have a new sony lappy with a ipw2200 chipset mini wireless card.
3 > Should I be using the in kernel (2.6.16-r3) drivers or the builds in
4 > portage?  Is the a configuration guide for this setup on gentoo?
5
6 Some will say in kernel, some will say use ebuilds. Honestly i'm not sure of
7 the difference.
8
9 I use the ebuilds, like so:
10
11 1) emerge ieee80211 . it will probably tell you that you need to run a
12 script, and fail until you do so. Do what it asks, then merge it again and it
13 will work
14
15 2) emerge ipw2200 ipw2200-firmware
16
17 3) have the module ipw2200 loaded at boot and you're set
18
19 As far as a guide I'm not sure.
20
21 The only drawback of doing it this way, is that when you change kernels, you
22 have to do the above again.
25 "When you walk across the fields with your mind pure and holy, then from
26 all the stones, and all growing things, and all animals, the sparks of
27 their soul come out and cling to you. And then they are purified, and
28 become a holy fire in you." -- Ancient Hasidic Saying
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list