From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] net-snmp 5.7.2_rc1 on xen
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 02:08:46
1 Hi list,
2
3 I've been away from Gentoo for quite a while but recently a friend asked
4 me to help update an aged linode vps running on Xen.
5
6 All has gone well except the new version of net-snmp (5.7.2_rc1) refuses
7 to start as Xen doesn't provide access to PCI info:
8
9 * Starting snmpd ...
10 pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
11 pcilib: Cannot find any working access method.
12 * start-stop-daemon: failed to start `/usr/sbin/snmpd'
13 * Failed to start
14
15 I know next to nothing about Xen and little more about snmp. We
16 contacted linode to see if they had dealt with this before (the system
17 is running the standard gentoo image, although updated). Unfortunately
18 they stated that they are an unmanaged service and wouldn't provide any
19 further help.
20
21 I've looked around for several days but have found very little info on
22 this and nothing that helpful. Short of compiling a custom version of
23 net-snmp and hacking out the PCI stuff (which may solve the problem or
24 may just mean snmp doesn't return the needed info) I have run out of ideas.
25
26 Any help on this would be appreciated
27
28 Many thanks