From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Terminals not closing after exit anymore
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 21:13:45
1 On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm reading all these messages about Nvidia driver versions causing problems
3 > and I'm wondering if for my next box I should just stick with radeon, which
4 > has not really given me any trouble for as long as I can remember.
5
6 Mick,
7
8 I've been running nvidia-drivers on my Gentoo laptop for three years
9 and have two major problems:
10
11 1. Any particular nvidia driver version is only compatible with only
12 certain kernel versions. This condition is due to the way the NVIDIA
13 driver works. Gentoo portage was just not designed to handle such a
14 rule "package x requires kernel y" so it is left to us users to deal
15 with via masks. For some reason (?) I only had to deal with this rule
16 during the period ~July 2013 - October 2013.
17
18 2. The latest stable version of the nvidia drivers do not allow
19 gnome-terminal windows to close. This problem too just started
20 happening after years of trouble-free gnome-terminal closing.
21
22 It is frustrating... but I'm stuck with NVIDIA-drivers because I use
23 CUDA. If 1) this sort of thing bothers you and 2) radeon doesn't have
24 similar problems, then by all means please switch to radeon and let us
25 know how it goes!
26
27 PS: Installing the CUDA runtime and SDK is easier on Gentoo than on
28 any other linux distro.
29
30 Chris